Disney Recipe: Tonga Toast from Kona Cafe in Disney World
Do not miss it!
Recently, we told you about yet another fantastic breakfast we had at Kona Cafe, located at Disney’s Polynesian Resort. Known for its beloved breakfasts, many guests count Tonga Toast among their all-time favorite Disney Dishes!
Tonga Toast Ingredients:
1-quart canola oil, for frying
1 loaf sourdough bread (uncut, 12 inches long)
2 large bananas, peeled
1. Mix sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl (large enough to roll toast) with a fork until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
1. Whip eggs in a medium bowl (large enough to dip toast) until well beaten. Add milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
For Tonga toast:
1. Preheat oil to 350 degrees F in a large pot or a deep fryer. (If using a large pot, use a candy thermometer to make certain the oil does not get any hotter or it will burn.)
2. Slice the bread into four three-inch-thick slices.
3. Cut each banana in half crosswise, then each piece lengthwise.
4. Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into; repeat with each bread slice.
5. Dip stuffed bread into batter, covering both sides, allowing excess batter to drip off bread, and place carefully into the hot oil.
6. Cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown. If needed, turn toast over after 2 minutes and cook for another 2 minutes on another side. Remove and drain excess oil.
7. Roll toast in cinnamon sugar. Repeat for each piece of toast.